• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?
  • Hello Guest

Author Topic: Mending and player markets  (Read 5564 times)

encryptedsalad

• View Profile
    • Awards
Mending and player markets
« on: August 09, 2016, 03:22:17 pm »
Unless I am mistaken, there is as of now no way to get the mending enchantment as it can only be found in dungeons generated in 1.10, and I do not believe there are any in this world (correct me if I am wrong). Therefore I would request a mending book be added to the shop.
Additionally I would like to have player markets. Usually I see this done in the form of a chest with a sign that says a price for an item and you click on the sign, but really any way at all for players to sell items to others both easily and also where they don't have to be online would work. This way money would become more valuable as it would be easy to buy any items that people are selling.

Wooper

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mending and player markets
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:01 pm »
Mending books can also be obtained though villager trading, and fishing. You will find that they are quite easy to get if you find a villager with the trade or someone who does. Adding mending books to the shops would make it way too easy. I like the player market/chest market idea.

Tobieias

• Tobieias
  • Admin
  • Pretty sweet.
  • Awards Donated $10 towards the server. Donated $5 towards the server. Donated $20 towards the server. Donated $30 towards the server. Donated $50 towards the server. Donated $100 towards the server. Donated $150 towards the server.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 07:44:18 pm »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This Idea has been proposed in the past by a number of people. Personally I don't see it necessary for the server to have this feature added as we've gone for years now without it and things have gone fine without the additional plugin, also the way money and trading is used in-game works perfectly fine as it is. Players trade with each other or have the option to go directly to the /warp shops and I see no problem in how this setup works. I remember deekay stating in the past that he doesn't want the server to stray too far from a vanilla-style server than it already is - Which I totally agree with.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the mending book situation, players on the server already have villagers with the mending book trade. (I myself have one and would be more than happy to trade mending books with you)
Don't go hollow.

encryptedsalad

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »
While the server has worked fine until now, that doesn't mean it couldn't improve. The existing player market is very inconvenient, and thus decreases the value of money due to the simple barrier of actually having to find out who has what and how much they are selling for etc etc. Player markets would fix this, as you could just go to the market and buy what people are selling without talking to anyone or requiring anyone but yourself to be online. Everyone would trade more, which I believe would be more fun. Player markets would also add the ability to buy items that are not being sold in the shop, and the price would never be way too low due to the fact that someone somewhere had to obtain it. I feel this point particularly important, as the current shop is very limited in scope. Additionally I do not believe it would ruin the vanilla feel, as players can choose not to participate in the player market. In the very least, it wouldn't ruin the vanilla feel any more than the current system does.
I have no idea what the consequences of adding more plugins in general are though, so I have no argument against this.

About the mending books I am willing to buy when you are online.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 06:58:38 am »
It's not that I don't like the idea in principle, I'm aware of the added benefits of a player driven market, I've just yet to discover a clean way of implementing such a thing.
I've visited servers with things like player chest/sign shops and although I can see the potential interest, it can get out of hand and look rather ugly and uninviting.

If I can implement it in a way that fits well, perhaps I'll consider it.

Blood

• (:RaNdOmNeSs:)
  • Awards Donated $5 towards the server. Donated $10 towards the server.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 12:40:14 am »
Remember that we are a social and community server. Player chest shops would take away the whole point of interaction.