• Trusted
  • Lord of REDDSTONNINGZ!
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Fourms Profile
    • Awards
Sponge
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:43:28 pm »
Hey all.
My name's Vakar, not many of you know me because I slipped out of existence. I do however check on this server from time to time because of nostalgic memories.
Anyways I wanted to ask you all about the bukkit controversy and this doesn't at all have to do with dkcraft. (Remember, not at all to do with DK)
What do you all think about sponge?
I personally don't really like it since I know some people who are coding another server platform that isn't well known but Sponge seems like the next big thing as Buycraft is gonna support it and etc.

Pretty random of me just to go on to make a random topic about this but ye.
Hello....
I'ma Vakar.
Master at mapmaking and redstone.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Sponge
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 02:52:32 am »
Hey Lord, hows it going?

I've been following this Bukkit drama for a while now, and recently been hanging out in the Sponge IRC channel / Reddit page since I heard about it.
I'm not giving up on Bukkit just yet. Right now the project seems all but dead, but we don't know what Mojangs plans are for it just yet.

As for Sponge, it looks like it has a great team already. Many people working on it have come from experienced and respectable communities, and considering how fast they all came together, I have high hopes for Sponge being successful.
We can only continue to lurk their progress and see what the future holds. This Bukkit ordeal has been unfortunate, but these guys working on Sponge look like the only ones with their heads screwed on properly at this time.

I haven't mentioned much about this Bukkit situation here on DKCraft, other than posting a few links in some server news posts.
For those of you who have no idea what me and Lord are talking about, click here.

What's this other said server platform people are working on?

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:00:58 am »
Can we all just have a moment of silence for bukkit, at the rate its going, sadly; I believe within a few months bukkit will be left with its source code...

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:30 am »
Can we all just have a moment of silence for bukkit, at the rate its going, sadly; I believe within a few months bukkit will be left with its source code...
It doesn't even have it's code available anymore. Their GitHub along with their downloads were taken down due to a member of their dev team doing this.
Really the only thing left there is half the community, few original staff members, and Mojang lurking the forums probably not knowing what the hell to do. Sad days indeed.

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:53 am »
It doesn't even have it's code available anymore. Their GitHub along with their downloads were taken down due to a member of their dev team doing this.
Really the only thing left there is half the community, few original staff members, and Mojang lurking the forums probably not knowing what the hell to do. Sad days indeed.
Honestly its been a sad year in the gaming and internet universes, w/ that whole Zoe Quinn thing, then there's Net neutrality, bukkit going down, and a bunch of other unspoken things its been terrible.

LordVakar

• Trusted
  • Lord of REDDSTONNINGZ!
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Fourms Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:40 am »
Hey, I'm randomly back again 9 days later exactly from all the replies.
Maybe I check sites in multiple of number of days  ???
Anyways, there is a big long list of 40+ alternatives on spigot, which I will not be linking (not sure if I can).
Microsoft has bought Minecraft so maybe with their money they can hire lawyers to counter bukkit's DCMA.
Microsoft buying Minecraft has no benefit at all besides that probably.
Hello....
I'ma Vakar.
Master at mapmaking and redstone.

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:28 am »
Anyways, there is a big long list of 40+ alternatives on spigot, which I will not be linking (not sure if I can).
Microsoft has bought Minecraft so maybe with their money they can hire lawyers to counter bukkit's DCMA.
In my opinion Minecraft could use the help of more developers, its gotten very complex just look at the code and you'll see what I'm talking about, Microsoft has resources mojang can really use, and unlike EA Microsoft doesn't ruin games.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 09:52:34 am »
In my opinion Minecraft could use the help of more developers, its gotten very complex just look at the code and you'll see what I'm talking about, Microsoft has resources mojang can really use, and unlike EA Microsoft doesn't ruin games.
The thing is, I highly doubt Microsoft will even know what Bukkit is, or even realise they own the Bukkit project. If they did, they probably wouldn't put their resources into something free like Bukkit. I'm hoping Microsoft come out with an official server mod API, like what Mojang said they were doing for like 2 years.