• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?
  • Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1.8 & the /ps command  (Read 5405 times)

Poiujmon [Dead]

• his account: not used
    • View Profile
    • Awards
1.8 & the /ps command
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »
1.8 will bring about massive changes, including how the sponges can be used. And if the server updates to 1.8, the sponge may not exactly be as viable as before, seeing how ocean monuments aren't too rare, and those monuments usually spawn with a room of sponges. A decent replacement would be the command block (assuming command blocks are disabled), or really any unobtainable block. Even if the economic ramifications are of no concern, the fact that water could disable anyone's protection would be a major problem to everyone, even to the point where a wet sponge would be a better choice for security purposes.

TTLego

• Trusted
  • ^ British Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: 1.8 & the /ps command
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:38:10 am »
From the situation at hand I can see two outcomes to the sponge block, with the introduction of it's new feature, either yes, the block for protection of builds will be changed to another block, but personally I dont believe command blocks would be a wise choice since you can still access the interface of the command block, which would annoy players such as me. Or the block will be kept the same with no one being able to use the sponge block, I could see the sponge becoming a block / item such as water or lava buckets, which only trusted+ can use due to how they change their environment around them. Obviously it would be nice for everyone to be able to use these blocks as they are a rare item but it can be used as a griefing tool with water, etc. But it will be up too Dk to decide in the long run :)

Poiujmon [Dead]

• his account: not used
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 08:36:29 am »
There aren't many unused or unobtainable blocks left anymore, and most of them being inconvenient or annoying, such as the mentioned command block. Off the top of my head there aren't any good ones at all. The next best would probably the joined stone slab, but that both requires a tool and would be indistinguishable from normal slabs from the top and bottom.

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:38 am »
From the situation at hand I can see two outcomes to the sponge block, with the introduction of it's new feature, either yes, the block for protection of builds will be changed to another block, but personally I dont believe command blocks would be a wise choice since you can still access the interface of the command block, which would annoy players such as me. Or the block will be kept the same with no one being able to use the sponge block, I could see the sponge becoming a block / item such as water or lava buckets, which only trusted+ can use due to how they change their environment around them. Obviously it would be nice for everyone to be able to use these blocks as they are a rare item but it can be used as a griefing tool with water, etc. But it will be up too Dk to decide in the long run :)
Yes you can access the interface of a command block but any changes made won't be saved as you need to be both opped and in creative mode for changes to save

TTLego

• Trusted
  • ^ British Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:40:45 am »
Yes you can access the interface of a command block but any changes made won't be saved as you need to be both opped and in creative mode for changes to save

Yea, this I know but it would still annoy me, but I guess what ever needs to be used. After looking at some blocks, there are obviously limits to what we could use, but a spawner block was something which I liked >.< xD

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 10:58:12 am »
The problem with using unobtainable blocks is you never know if they're going to be removed or repurposed in the future.
I took a risk by using Sponges at the protection block, and now I have to pay the price in the new update.

With the possible new server wipe, there will be room for change in which I will need to come up with a new block to use.