• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?
  • Hello Guest

Author Topic: An idea  (Read 8372 times)

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
An idea
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:18:00 am »
As most of us know, The first day of August 2014 will bring a massive change to servers and the multiplayer communities there is no doubt that servers will fail if not downgrade in size. Personally I really don't want that to happen here. I thought it over and devised an idea, Picture this every month we have a goal if that goal is met an item or a set of items is given to every active player on the server (logging at least 48 hours on the server in the given time) once the goal is met a poll is opened up that has five (or any number) of randomly chosen items (Ex: Goal met, please vote on next goal prize 1.sponges (5) 2. Two spawn eggs (randomly chosen but will be same egg) 3. Command access (for 2 months or any time decided) 4. One more home (permanent) 5. 10 of a randomly chosen ore block (though diamond emerald, and gild tend to be much more rare) 6. None of these i like. If the sixth option were to win the poll would be randomized one more time and the 6th option removed for that donation period. You might ask how would we distribute the items won? Well with essentials cones kits once the goal is met the kits open up for a one time use (if that's not possible then an impossible period of reset is set like 10 years. Regardless I want to know what everyone thinks of this and to give a good reason why (because its stupid is not a good reason, niether is I don't know why, nor is its a bad idea). If you don't like something about the system give an explanation of how to make it better (if you can). Anyways I've carried on long enough I'll leave all of you to discuss with myself and amongst each other the topic at hand. Edits: Grammar

Blood

• (:RaNdOmNeSs:)
  • Awards Donated $5 towards the server. Donated $10 towards the server.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: An idea
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:45:20 am »
Well it's the first idea of what to do so I guess it seems cool until we can come up with a better idea.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:45 am »
Moved to Suggestions.

So what you're saying is once a set donation goal is met, every player is rewarded with a certain item/perk?
I like the idea, it will encourage a community effort so that everyone can be rewarded, which fits under Mojang's new EULA.
The only problem is finding a way for this to work.

Lissy421

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aql_fYL7Wwc
  • Awards Donated $5 towards the server.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 08:06:54 pm »
That actually sounds really cool. We def. have to start thinking of new ways for donations. im sure we can find a plugin that marks how many hours. but linking that to rewards will be the main issue as deekay said. My only concern with that is people just online afk for hours just to get the reward. I do like this though.

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:07:03 pm »
With the whole getting kicked after ten minutes of inactivity it could be set up so that if a player is kicked a certain amount of times for that reason their priveledges of getting anything from that donation period are removed.

Lissy421

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aql_fYL7Wwc
  • Awards Donated $5 towards the server.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:15:14 pm »
With the whole getting kicked after ten minutes of inactivity it could be set up so that if a player is kicked a certain amount of times for that reason their priveledges of getting anything from that donation period are removed.

that would just encourage more people to bypass afk kick

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »
After much thinking and consideration I've found that the best way would be to have a certain quota of things said by a player and a small 5 second cool down that if violated a certain amount of times would result in a kick and reset of said quota this way active players can be seen and lurkers those who don't really contribute to the server in any way are weeded out

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:10:02 pm »
That's all great, but you have to take into account how this is actually going to be coded. Most of the things I add to the server don't require any additional plugins, but this is different. If I were to go ahead with this idea, it would need to be simplified a whole lot for it to work. I'll have a think about it.

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:43:33 pm »
Alright but for the counting the amount a player has chatted wouldnt it be possible to have a plugin read the chat logs and tallying the amount a player has spoken in a given time?

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:40:04 am »
Alright but for the counting the amount a player has chatted wouldnt it be possible to have a plugin read the chat logs and tallying the amount a player has spoken in a given time?
That's not how it would work. You would simply log how many times each player speaks, and if their total equals a certain amount once the goal is reached, send them the reward.
But I don't have a plugin like that, so like I said, it will have to be simplified to work with what we have. At least for now, and that's only if I go through with this idea.

CollisionCourse

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:59 am »
Alright I see where you're coming from I used to write simple programs in c++ nothing major, a plugin I would expect to be much more difficul as you have to worry about it causing crashes on the server along with a multitude of things.

Jao

• Hello :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:15 am »
THe thing that I feel is bad is that some people don't like to talk in chat yet are very active. Wouldn't there be an other way?
Hi I Am CrazyJao WOOHOO!! :)

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 07:29:24 am »
I simply don't see the need to limit the reward to people that are only active. You could have a member join the day before who really likes the server, and then not be rewarded.
I think rewarding every single player seems more fair, since everyone on our server is part of the community, not just those who are more active than others.

pigglesquirt

• Trusted
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 10:08:15 am »
Just playing the devil's advocate:

But it would give veteran players an advantage over players who joined after the rewards were given out, which would still violate Mojang's new terms.

So, let's say in February, the goal is met and everyone gets- I don't know- diamonds or multiple homes or whatever. Someone who joins in April wouldn't get the same advantage, and yaddyyaddyyadda, Mojang gets pissy again.

Unless I misunderstood?

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 11:12:31 am »
Just playing the devil's advocate:

But it would give veteran players an advantage over players who joined after the rewards were given out, which would still violate Mojang's new terms.

So, let's say in February, the goal is met and everyone gets- I don't know- diamonds or multiple homes or whatever. Someone who joins in April wouldn't get the same advantage, and yaddyyaddyyadda, Mojang gets pissy again.

Unless I misunderstood?
From having a think about it, it would work like this:
1. Donation goal for January is met.
2. A random or voted for reward is put into a /kit for everyone to use for February.
3. If February's donation goal was met, the same would happen for March, and so on.
4. If the donation goal wasn't met for a month, there wouldn't be a reward available for the following month.

It would be a manual process, for now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:14:24 am by xDeeKay »